One of the most common parasites to be found on our body is the head lice (Pediculus capitis). We are its humble hosts on whom these parasitical insects thrive. These are found mainly on the scalp which also happens to find its way on your neck and face. The six shaft like legs grasps the hair for better movement. Head lice reflect lack of hygiene and sanitation but many a times that is not the case. Children are most common hosts for these parasites due to the daily interaction with number of children. A simple head-to-head contact with the infested person can open the Pandora’s Box.
Other ways and means to transfer this condition is by used combs, sharing towels, hats similar products related to your hair. Lice could not survive for more than 24-hours without feeding. Their main source of energy is by sucking blood from the host’s body. You can find three forms of lice- the egg also known as nit, the nymph and the adult. The common symptom once infected by head lice is a tickling sensation felt in the hair as well as constant itching due to the bites. You can find different types of lice like head lice, body lice and pubic lice.
- You can use louse or nit combs which are of great helps in minimizing their population.
- Always keep your hair well-groomed and clean by using the proper shampoo.
- Washing your hair everyday and keeping it clean may just be one of the deterrents of warding off this problem.
- Going bald or having short hair makes it easier to remove the lice.
- Keep your surroundings clean.
- If you start the treatment keep in mind to clean everything around simultaneously to prevent re-infestation.
Home Remedies for Lice
- In your regular shampoo mix 3 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil. Apply this solution and cover your head tightly with a plastic bag for half an hour and then rinse it off. This can be used as a remedy to fight off these invaders.
- After washing your hair apply mayonnaise all over your scalp. Keep it overnight by covering it. Rinse it the next morning and remove the lice with the help of a lice comb. The lice would slide through your hair with ease.
- Apply Vaseline freely on your scalp to suffocate and remove the lice. It may be tiring affair as Vaseline is not that easy to remove. Before washing you can apply corn flour to make the process easy.
- Make a concoction by mixing 20 drops each of eucalyptus essential oil and tea tree oil, 10 drops each of aniseed essential oil and lemon oil with 75ml olive oil. Apply this on your hair and leave it for an hour. Later, wash it to get positive results.
- You can rub Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash on your scalp. It may happen to kill the lice due to the presence of essential oils like eucalyptol, thymol, menthol and methyl salicylate and alcohol.
- You can make a solution of baby oil or any other mineral oil with equal proportion of vinegar. Apply this on your hair. Once doused with this solution cover your hair for one hour before shampooing it. This may help in reducing the lice due to the inbound properties of vinegar and the oil.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.